Monday, December 31, 2018

Little Donkey

Clip clop. Clip clop. Clip clop. Clip.

Clop.

Clip.

I know the story. The little donkey caries the Savior of the world.

Clip.

Clip.

Clip.

But my leg hurts so bad.

Clip.

Man I wish I wouldn’t have made that snarky remark to Uncle. He bit me. I mean I’ve been bad, but did I deserve this?

Clop.

Ouch. That hurts.

All donkeys wish to be like that story of old, carrying Mama Jesus. Or carrying King Jesus. With this hurt leg and all...

I would never even have the chance to be in a Christmas program. A few years ago some humans organized a Christmas play in Bere. That pregnant donkey delivered her BABY donkey DURING the play! Talk about a star! How am I supposed to do something memorable when I’m so lame?
I don’t even feel like walking on my hurt leg! Just a limp. Clip.

Clip.

I’m getting a little woozy. I think I’ll lay down.

Wait, what is this? A big crowd? It must be those nasaras again. They are a pretty fun group, bringing songs and laughter to the village. Telling stories about the great donkey who carried mama Jesus.
I’m confused, they just came here yesterday. I was nuzzling up to the little one they call Addison. I just had no energy to run away. Stinking leg. They did say they were coming back with help.
There’s a few more of them today. The ones they call Andrew and Olen gave me a shot! Ouch! It hurt, but not as bad as my leg. I just have no energy to move. I can’t walk. I can’t move. What am I good for?

 Wait! What is this again? Andrew has picked me up! He’s carrying ME! In most stories of old with humans, it’s the DONKEY that’s supposed to carry the human! This human is carrying me! He said he wanted to bring me near the well to wash off my leg that was bitten.

I’m supposed to be the helper, but he is helping me. He must be a surgeon because he took one look at my abscess and cut it open. Right then and there!

The other nasaras said they needed a surgeon to help them with their work. Could this be him or her? My mama said it must be true because she read his shirt, “Bere or Bust.” Or maybe that means he was going to bust me up in Bere. I don’t know. But I somehow ended up in Bere, at the house of Olen. Andrew is not really busting me up yet, just changing my dressings where Uncle bit me. Now the woman is doing them.

Clip clop clip. Clip clop clip.

I’m getting better. I can actually walk on all four legs now. It’s been two weeks living and learning about the nasaras.

Clip clop. Clip clop.

But where is Andrew? I sure hope he comes back to help my humans when they need cut open too.

I think of the stories of old. Of the donkey who carried mama Jesus that starry night on the way to Bethlehem. Jesus came to help our world. And now I can be a helper too because I am no longer sick. Now maybe I can be in the Christmas program to help people know about Jesus’ birth. Now I can carry sick people to the hospital. Now I can......

Clip Clop. Clip clop. clip clop. clip clop...

Ps. Little Donkey has fully recovered. He plans to be in a nativity program that we are having mid January this year for our Happy New Year/we couldn’t do it earlier program. Stay tuned!! 
We love the animals in Bere too!! 

Pss. Drs Andrew and Megan were here visiting Béré for the first 2 weeks of December. We love and welcome visitors. Shoot us an email and ask how you can be helpful too! And pray for them and others who are planning on serving long term in the mission field.  Getting there is sometimes the hardest part. 


No comments:

Post a Comment